2008/02/17

More from Character Design

Okay! I keep putting off posting this stuff... and I'm sorry. So here are all of the worthwhile drawings to come out of the last couple character design classes.



So this is my first attempt at a more 'toonier' version of the character. Not the best design, there are some things about it I like, and lots of things I don't like. As you can see Zembillas didn't care for the distance with the legs. I might come back to this idea and see where I can take it, but before that I started on...



A version that was supposed to be using more 'human' proportions. I was, however, still caught up on exaggerating proportions, and wanted to have a wide hipped character. For some reason I've been interested in wide hips recently.



Completely misunderstanding his directions, this was the next drawing I did. Better, but another problem I've always had, I extended her legs too far, and the torso is too short.



Getting closer... not quite there.



I gave up on the all the superfluous details and focused on the anatomy only... still not right. Zembillas' corrections are on the side and in red.



Finally I got the proportions to an acceptable point with this drawing.



NOW I can add the superfluous stuff!



And finally do the rotation. The back 3/4 view and rear view were redone, actually, since I had made some mistakes with my original drawings. I'm going to be doing a rotation on that little medusa next... it'll be a challenge, but hey, that's the reason I'm taking the class. I'll try to be more diligent with these posts next week.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leo Princess said...

Hey, dude! I've always wondered how they did the rotations. When we're both nice and free, would you please teach me how to do that properly?

There are certain things That I've given up hoping to learn at school. T_T

February 17, 2008 at 9:39 AM  
Blogger Will R. said...

Sure! I'll let you know what I've been learning from Mr. Zembillas and the character designer over at the studio I'm interning at. Mind you, this is like, the second REAL attempt at a turn around I've done, so I'm still learning myself!

February 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Will R. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 17, 2008 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Val said...

really cute character! i totally dig her! i hope you upload more of her sometime! :D

April 18, 2008 at 1:31 AM  
Blogger CA3 said...

Wow. The investment in getting that degree has clearly been an investment to your benefit given the refinement your work was showing in these postings. I figure that you're too busy to post up here these days, you really should make more of an effort to do that. Anyway, stay well and happy new year!

January 1, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home